The record-breaking online poker tournament, which was hosted by GGPoker, ended on September 6th. The 54-event series boasted the largest prize pool ever awarded in an online tournament.
Some of the tournament highlights of WSOP Online 2020 include:
● The largest online poker tournament in history: $27,559,500 for the WSOP Online 2020 $5K Main event.
● Biggest cash prize ever awarded at an online poker tournament: $3,904,685 awarded to Stoyan Madanzhiev.
● The most entries for any WSOP tournament: 44,576 entered the BIG 50.
● Total prizes paid out: $147,789,550 in cash prizes paid out across all 54 tournaments. That’s an average prize pool of $2,736,844 per event.
● Total number of entries: 239,754
● Total number of nationalities: 166
● Money raised for Caesars Cares charity: $354,756. Of that amount, $257,853 came from the poker community while GGPoker kicked in $96,903.
● Number of tournaments with prize pools of at least $1 million: 45
● Number of tournaments with prize pools of at least $5 million: 5
● Number of tournaments with prize pools of at least $10 million: 2
● Number of tournaments at least 10,000 entries: 5
● Multiple Event winners: Alex Stasiak won Event #33 and Event #52
● Multiple final tables played: A total of 39 players made it to multiple final tables. Five players made three final tables.
● Female event winners: Kristen Bicknell won Event #44, Thi Truong won Event #74, and Melika Razavi won Event #82.
● Number of players who cashed in more than 10 times: 281
● Number of players who took home at least $100,000: 203
The famous World Series of Poker is traditionally held in Las Vegas. However, it had to be postponed due to the pandemic. Instead, an online poker series took place at GGPoker between July 19 and September 6. In all, a total of 54 WSOP bracelets were awarded in GGPoker’s online series. This was the first time that players from outside of the United States were able to compete for WSOP bracelets online.
Executive Director of the WSOP, Ty Stewart, explained that hosting the WSOP Online at GGPoker was not planned at the start of the year. However, the Covid-19 outbreak changed things. He went on to say that taking the series online was a great experience and that tens of thousands of new poker players from all over the world got to experience the WSOP magic. He said that the WSOP Online 2020 series was a resounding success.
The series got a lot of media coverage and it was also broadcast on GGPoker.TV as well as Poker Central. Stoyan Madanzhiev claimed a record-breaking $3.9 million cash prize in the Main Event. Soccer phenomenon Neymar, boxers Riddick Bowe and Amir Khan, tennis legend Boris Becker, and MMA’s Elias Theodoru were some of the many celebrities that participated.